Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Is social media affecting the youth of tomorrow?


Social media is an important part of today's society.  It seems that everywhere you look someone is either on Facebook, Twitter or even checking/sending emails.  Are these social media tools sucking people into them? Trying to keep them on for hours on end?  No, I don't think that the tools are keeping people there.  The people who obsess over these tools are the ones who are going to be addicted to them. I agree that the girl on Facebook, who committed suicide, with the thousands of "friends" is tragic, but did Facebook cause her to commit suicide? I am pretty sure people have been taunting mentally ill people throughout the the world before Facebook was even thought up.

The majority of my friends and people that I know are on Facebook and Twitter to keep in touch with their friends who don't live close, but I am pretty sure that none of them are constantly on those tools updating their lives one minute at a time.  There would be no need for that, and it would mean that they devote all of their time to social media.  There is no need for that.
I think that everyone is very connected through social media tools.  Are we too connected?  That would have to be answered by those who never log out of these tools.  There are a lot of people who think that using social media tools is a must for today's society and I agree with that but there is no need to constantly be on them.  These tools are very good at distracting people from the real world and living their real lives.  I think that it is important for people to be able to disconnect themselves from the social media world.  If that is not possible for people, everyone is going to have a problem with getting back to their own lives outside of the internet and will not completely understand why other people don't get what they are talking about.

3 comments:

  1. I agree with your comments that some people need to be able to disconnect. There most definitely will be a problem if people are unable to detach from the social media world and I think that shows between the real world and the world some people live in.
    Nice post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree with you. Kids today are so obsessed with the internet and are forgetting how to just be a kid. It's sad to see children's innocence being taken when they are exposed to the negativity of the internet and social media. I miss the old days when people just had an e-mail address and that was it.

    ReplyDelete