Thursday, April 28, 2011

Social Media coming to an end....or is it?


Zitzsolutions.com

Over the last semester I have learned a lot about the world of "Social Media."  When I first got to the class I thought we were just going to talk about Facebook, Twitter and Youtube.  You know the three main websites that everyone thinks define "Social Media."  Throughout the semester I learned how to make my own Facebook and Twitter pages effective enough, to the point where it is presentable to possible job opportunities.  

I also learned how to make a Facebook fan page effective.  With the knowledge I gained from hearing and seeing a useful fan page, I think that I am more enlightened about how to make and maintain a successful page if I ever have to make one.
Aside from just learning about social media tools, I now have a much better grasp on how to use them wisely in order to reach the most people.  Monitoring Klout scores helps assess the usefulness of a Twitter account.  Although my personal score is around 30, it has grown tremendously from where it was a month ago.
I don’t really like LinkedIn or find it to be extremely useful to me, but I do see how it can be useful as a professional networking site.  I don’t really check my account very often, unless someone sends me a add request or a question that they ask me.  Besides that, I now have the skills to keep a LinkedIn profile and now know the potential it has.
I think one of the most valuable things I learned through Social Media was how to use Twitter. I had no idea what to do when I first started, but now I see what an important tool it truly is. I foresee it gaining popularity and becoming even more influential than it is today.
My advice to my fellow journalism colleagues is that they should definitely take the Social Media class if they can, you will learn a lot about pretty much anything that you will ever want to know about “Social Media,” it is important to have knowledge above and beyond what you thought your knowledge could have ever been.  My favorite hashtag would have to be #jmcawesome because it pretty much sums everything that the Creighton University Journalism Department stands for.

1 comment: